Walled Lakes earliest inhabitants were the native Americans. Indians were in Michigan centuries before the settlers came. They were non-hostile people who relied on the fertile land and waters of southern Michigan to farm, fish, and hunt. Accounts from early settlers tell us that there were as many as 300-400 Native Americans who camped along the shores of Walled Lake.
In June of 1825 a determined settler left the small village of Farmington and adventures into the wilderness miles past the last settlement. He arrived on the east shore of a beautiful lake and noticed what appeared to be a stone wall along the west bank. His name was Walter Hewitt and he was Walled Lakes first settler. Walter built himself a log home on the high land but didn't stay for long he was soon on the road again moving to ypsilanti May 1826. Not long later more settlers started to arrive like Eliphat Hungerford who came in 1831 and was known to have planted the first apple orchard in the community. In 1830 two men, Pentice and King, arrived and established an indian trading post called "white rock". It was located on the lakeshore near the present day 14 Mile and East Lake Drive area. This small settlement, located on the high land northwest of the lake, was the home to Walled Lake's first school (1833), the first store (1833) and the first church (1837).
Mercer Beach is named in honor of E. V. Mercer. The Home
Telephone Company was established in 1908. In 1920, E. V. Mercer purchased the Home Telephone Company. E. V. Mercer owned and managed the Home Telephone Company from 1920. The City of Walled Lake purchased and combined multiple pieces of property, including E. V. Mercers Family's existent beach, to form the City Park now known as Mercer Beach.
Mercer Beach is 8 acres including 200 feet of beach frontage